Born at Crows Nest in January 1941, Bishop Peter Ingham is the son of George and Marjorie Ingham (nee Hyndes). His early education was completed at St Leonard's Primary School, Naremburn, and St Pius X College, Chatswood. He studied for the priesthood at St Columba's Seminary, Springwood, and at St Patrick's Seminary, Manly,
and was ordained a priest by Cardinal Gilroy in St Mary's Cathedral in 1964.
In his early ministry in the Archdiocese of Sydney he served as Assistant Priest in Rosebery, Newtown, St Marys (near Penrith) and Auburn South. Then followed six years as private secretary to Cardinal Freeman and ten years as Secretary of the Archdiocese of Sydney. He was nominated a Prelate of Honour (Monsignor) to his Holiness Pope John Paul II in 1986. In 1990 he returned to parish ministry as Parish Priest of St Charles Ryde. During this time he also took on the duties of membership of the College of Consultors and the Council of Priests. He was ordained as an Auxiliary Bishop of Sydney in 1993 by His Eminence Cardinal Clancy, with the title of Bishop of Pudenziana.
Bishop Peter Ingham was installed as the fourth Bishop of Wollongong on 25 July 2001. Past ordinaries were Thomas Absolem McCabe (1951 - 1974), William Edward Murray (1975 - 1996) and Philip Edward Wilson (1996 - 2000). William Murray is Bishop Emeritus of Wollongong.
In July 2008 Bishop Ingham celebrated the fifteenth anniversary of his episcopal ordination; on 18 July 2009 Bishop Ingham celebrated the 45th anniversary of his Ordination to the Priesthood.
PO Box 1239, Wollongong NSW 2500
Tel: 02 4222 2400